Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Title: The Fault In Our Stars
Author: John Green
My Rating: 5/5
Goodreads Summary: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

My Review: First of all let me say that I believe that I've read this before and just don't remember reading it very well so I decided to reread it. 

I was never and still am not close to people that have had cancer. I did have a friend who had cancer but I never really asked her about it.  Therefore I thought it was very sad but it didn't make me cry. It really was an emotional book but it didn't make me cry.  I was able to connect with it in a few other ways. I remember that I hated to go see my brother when he was alive and in the hospital. I remember seeing all of the kids with illnesses that I don't think they deserve. And this book just reminded me of this. 

Another way I connected was with Hazel was on the religious standpoint but I'm not going to get into that on here. 

I liked the way that John Green wrote his characters. You knew that they had medical issues but it wasn't overpowering. I think that they were evident on ever page of the book but when you have something like cancer it interferes with every part of your life. They also had issues that were't their illnesses. 

My favorite character had to have been Augustus . He was just really optimistic character despite everything that had happened to him.  Isaac was another character that I had really liked. His reactions to some of the things that he had to go through were pretty funny. I love how he was so emotional about everything. Then Hazel was opposite of Augustus. She was pretty pessimistic. Most of the time she saw everything that could go wrong. 

The setting was kind of interesting. At first I didn't really get the significance but after reading John Green's res ponces to some of the questions I did get the significance of the settings and it made complete sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment